George W. Shepard (1837-1925) was a farmer in Boston when he enlisted in the Army in October, 1857 and was listed as a deserter the following year. When the Civil War began, Shepard reenlisted 21st Connecticut Infantry with his brothers Jeremiah and John. George Shepard was soon promoted to 2nd Lieutenant of Company H and eventually reached the rank of Captain in November, 1864. Shepard was honorably discharged from the military in May, 1865.
He married Mary E. Dix the postwar period and the couple had two children. Shepard worked as an overseer in a cotton mill in Plainfield, Connecticut until retirement. He died on July 5, 1925 and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery in New Haven, Connecticut.